Monday, January 25, 2010

Vale!

A few other observations I have made:
  • Spaniards do not use the words "frijoles," "computadora," or the phrase "no me importa." Instead they "legumbres," "ordenador," and "no pasa nada."
  • Spaniards use the word "vale" excessively. I think it is the equivalent of "okay" in the states.
  • Spaniards do not believe in mashed potatoes, but rather enjoy papas fritas (french fries) or patatas bravas (I don't know how that translates, but they're like flat french fries with a type of enchilada sauce).
  • Spaniards like alcohol in their coffee....I do not.
  • Another thing about the coffee: The cups are soooo tiny, but the coffee is soooo strong.
  • Staring is widely accepted and seems to be a favorable pass time. The stank eye is also popular.
  • Apparently, the streets must be washed every night...we can hear the street-washers outside our window.
  • A burger at Burger King will cost you over $10. You can order it with fried goat cheese if you like.
Last week, we visited the Reales Alcázares, which is a beautiful place full of old palaces where kings used to lived and lovely gardens surrounding the palaces. It was absolutely gorgeous, and the history behind the place was so interesting. My camera died half-way through the tour, but here are some of the shots I got before its tragic let-down:

. This place is super close to where I live, but it is hidden behind stone walls and wooden doors.


On a less happy note, I have started classes. I am going to an international school & taking two classes with UNC kids for the first month. I have a culture class and a language class, and both are a considerable amount of work. Enough about school...

I have been eating more delicious foods since my post about tapas. I finally tried the famous "churros con chocolate:"

The chocolate was like hot chocolate but a lot thicker. It was quite good.

ALSO, I was told to go to this restaurant called Coloniales, and it was AMAZING.

My favorite thing was the chicken with almond sauce. We also tried some soup called "Salmorejo," which is a Spanish soup originally from Córdoba. Salmorejo is like a cold tomato soup with olive oil, garlic, ham and bread, and looks like this:

Switching subjects, I went to a Christian service yesterday with an organization called Hope for Sevilla. It was really refreshing to see people of Spain and all over the world worship Christ together in a bilingual service. I was so excited to see people passionate about the people who need Christ in Sevilla. I hope I can do more with this group in the future.

Also, my Señora has been being really nice lately, and has been complementing Kellsey and I on our Spanish. We are much more comfortable talking to her now and I can tell that Kellsey and I are slowly but surely improving.

I feel like I am leaving so many things out, and I am, but more to come! :)

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2

1 comment:

  1. BAHAHAH staring is widely accepted and the stank eye is quite popular too...
    also, are you sure you're not having expresso?
    YAY i love you!
    also i just talked to you on skype...kbye

    ReplyDelete