Saturday, January 9, 2010

Distractions, distractions

Over this past semester, God has revealed to me that I waste an immense amount of time.

Issues in life sometimes seem so crucial that I forget James 4:14, which says our lives our like vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Whether I am sitting on facebook for an hour, procrastinating doing my homework, worrying about an upcoming test (or all of the above), I often do not use the time God has given me here on Earth to spend with Him or glorify Him. I think about how we are supposed to be the bride of Christ, and if God was physically here and I was his wife, he would most definitely want to divorce me! Spending sometimes only 25 minutes a day with someone and mainly telling them what's going on in your own life and asking them to fix it is not really a healthy relationship. I allow myself to be distracted so easily by things that mean nothing in comparison to His greatness, like school or money, that I often miss out on the time God wants to have with me. I consequently fail to "present my requests to Him" and in doing this, I ultimately miss feeling the awesomeness of God's peace. (Phil 4:6-7) Now that is a high price to pay!

However, I love how Christmastime brings sermons about Isaiah 9:6.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

(that was our tree this year)
I was reminded this past season that since God is the Prince of Peace, and he holds my life in His hands, I should never worry about anything or allow myself to be distracted from Him. I should also yearn to spend time with Him not only because he is worthy of my life, but also so that I can rest in His peace.

..."for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience."
Hebrews 4:10-11

So, I have come to the conclusion that life, although wonderful at times, is often times a huge series of distractions and issues that try to drag me away from time with my Savior. I have also come to the conclusion that I have to stop allowing Satan to use such distractions against me. I am praying that God continues to reveal his beauty to me so that I will see the distractions and worries of the world as they truly are, for they are incomparable to the greatness of Jesus Christ.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment